GETTING TO KNOW HOLY CROSS
Please select from the following items for more information:
Reverend Kyle Norman has been the Priest at Holy Cross since September 2009. He was born in Montreal, Quebec; however, spent most of his life on Vancouver Island. His sermons often include bits of humour and the not-so subtle references to reality television and popular culture. He is also an avid magician, and sometimes uses magic tricks to illustrate stories from the Bible. When he is not at church, he is often found nursing a coffee at Starbucks or enjoying the company of his wife and son.
Connect Personally with Rev. Kyle:
Holy Cross welcomes Rev. Carmen Maier as she completes her Curacy with us. As a curate, Rev. Carmen will be learning from Rev. Kyle and will be an active part of our parish family. We are very excited to have Rev. Carmen with us, so be sure to stop by and introduce yourself!
Holy Cross is pleased to enjoy the ministry of Reverend Larry Nicolay, the deacon of this parish. As a deacon, Rev. Larry takes on some of the pastoral duties of the parish. He is in charge of the Lectors Ministry (the Bible readers) and spends much of his time visiting those who cannot come out to church. He also happily serves as Chaplain to both the St. Cyprian 31st Scout Group and the Retired RCMP veterans of Calgary.
THE HONORARY ASSISTANTS
Holy Cross is blessed to have a number of clergy on hand to help with life at the parish. In addition to Rev. Kyle and Rev. Larry, there are presently a number of priests who have chosen Holy Cross as their church home, and serve in an honorary capacity throughout the year.
- The Venerable Peter Millen
- Reverend Tony Grainger
- The Right Reverend Derek Hoskin
THE MUSIC DIRECTOR
Doug Spreeman is the music director at Holy Cross, joining the parish in September 2013. Doug brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to this position. As the music director, Doug serves as the church organist, choir director, and also oversees the handbell choir.
THE OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR
Holy Cross would like to welcome Gloria as our new office administrator. Gloria oversees the day-to-day operation of Holy Cross. This involves the scheduling of meetings, the rental of our facility, and the preparation of the Sunday morning service bulletins. If you ever have a question about what is going-on in the life of Holy Cross, Gloria will be your place to start. Email her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
GPS and Map Apps:
2828 – 19 Street NW
Calgary, AB T2M 3V8
Be sure to visit Calgary Transit’s Website to plan your trip to Holy Cross.
*We are also located near the University LRT, Banff Trail LRT, and Lions Park LRT stations. Be advised, it’s about a half hour walk from each of these stations!
David Peyto, parishioner at Holy Cross
In 1997, the two Anglican parishes of St. Michael and All Angels and St. Cyprian made the decision to amalgamate and eventually become the Anglican Parish of Holy Cross. At the time of this decision, the City of Calgary was developing plans to widen 16 Avenue North from 14 Street West to 6 Street East. St. Michael and All Angels was one of many buildings along the south side of 16 Avenue North slated for demolition.
Timeline of Events
1909: The Anglican parish of St. Michael and All Angels was established in Crescent Heights. The first service was held in the home of a Mr. Kane on 11 Avenue NW.
1909: On St. Thomas Day, Bishop Pinkham officiated at the dedication of the St. Michael and All Angels frame building at 3 Street and 16 Avenue NW.
1912: St. Michael and All Angels grew quickly and an additional building was constructed during this year.
1916: St. Michael and All Angels purchased a church hall from the Presbyterian Church and moved it to the St. Michael’s site.
1920: The St. Michael and All Angels memorial window was dedicated to honour the seventeen men of the parish who had been killed in action in World War One.
1923: Mrs. Lillian Crook and Mrs. Joe Davis began teaching Sunday School in the Davis home in the 1500 block of 19 Avenue NW in Capitol Hill. This was the start of the parish of St. Cyprian.
1923: The St. Michael and All Angels hall was sold and moved to make room for the construction of a new chancel.
1925: In April, the St. Cyprian’s hall was named in honour of Bishop Cyprian Pinkham was consecrated as a Mission to St. Barnabas in Hillhurst. The hall was 15 Street and 20 Avenue NW.
1929: In January, a new St. Michael and All Angels building was dedicated.
1952: St. Cyprian’s became a parish in its own right.
1952: The E.J. Way Memorial Wing at St. Michael and All Angels was dedicated.
1958: A new entrance and tower for St. Michael and All Angels was dedicated.
1961: St. Cyprian’s parish began construction on a new church on 19 Street and 28 Avenue NW. The hall on 20 Avenue was moved to Rosemont and became their community hall. The property on 20 Avenue became the Provincial Command of the Royal Canadian Legion.
1997: The first joint vestry meeting of the two parishes was held.
1997: On October 5, the official amalgamation of the two parishes took place.
1998: In March, the new parish was formally named the Anglican Parish of Holy Cross.
2003: The bell from St. Michael and All Angels was dedicated at St. Micheal’s in Canmore, Alberta.
2007: The 10th Anniversary of the Anglican Parish of Holy Cross was celebrated.
2014: In the summer, construction of the addition to the Holy Cross building began.